Dow Lohnes has a comprehensive, diverse national practice in federal, state and local tax matters, reflecting the varied nature of the firm’s clients and their activities. Our tax attorneys represent clients in all areas of corporate, partnership, trust, and individual federal and state income taxation, as well as estate and gift taxation, sales and use taxation, and the taxation of nonprofit and foreign entities. While many of our clients have business interests in the media, communications and/or entertainment industries, we also represent clients in many other industries and businesses. Our clients include large publicly-traded corporations, closely-held family businesses, partnerships, limited liability companies, private equity and venture capital firms, and nonprofit organizations, as well as individuals.
Dow Lohnes’s tax attorneys represent clients in areas that include:
- A broad spectrum of business transactions, such as mergers and acquisitions, spin-offs, like-kind exchanges, joint ventures, and venture capital investments;
- Federal (IRS) and state and local tax audits and administrative appeal proceedings;
- Tax litigation at all levels of the federal judicial system – including the trial courts, the United States Courts of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court;
- IRS and state private rulings;
- Wealth preservation and estate administration;
- Business succession planning;
- Nonprofit and tax-exempt organization taxation;
- State and local tax planning;
- Foreign taxation and transfer pricing;
- The taxation of sophisticated financial products and derivative investments; and
- Federal and state tax legislation.
Dow Lohnes’s clients also regularly call upon our tax attorneys for counsel in connection with a wide range of tax matters and issues that arise in the day-to-day affairs of their businesses. Reflecting the truly integrated approach of Dow Lohnes as a whole, our tax attorneys frequently collaborate and work closely with attorneys in each of Dow Lohnes’s other practice areas in order to best serve the particular needs of our clients.