Peter Coffman is a trial lawyer representing corporations and individuals in disputes involving business torts, commercial contracts, creditors' rights, higher education, insurance coverage, secured transactions, tax credits, intellectual property, corporate governance, and real estate. His practice is split between representing plaintiffs and defendants. Peter also counsels asset-based lenders on regulatory, privacy and transactional issues, and advises radio and television stations on promotional issues. He uses his bankruptcy expertise to advise creditors and counter-parties with bankrupt vendors, as well as helping businesses seeking to purchase assets out of bankruptcy.
Prior to joining Dow Lohnes in 1997, Peter was a trial attorney with the United States Department of Justice, Civil Division, 1991-1995, specializing in administrative and constitutional cases, and a law clerk to the Honorable Orinda D. Evans, U.S. District Court, N.D.Ga., 1990-1991.
Peter is chairman of the Chip Allen Chapter of Ducks Unlimited and a Member of the Board of Trustees of the Georgia Shakespeare Foundation.
- After bench trial, won favorable ruling on behalf of bankruptcy trustee establishing that a national accrediting agency made false statements to the Department of Education which drove a thriving institution out of business.
- Won substantial jury verdict against casualty insurer that failed to pay an apartment developer for damage from the 2008 tornado in downtown Atlanta.
- Successfully defeated antitrust class action in California.
- Successfully represented cable company alleging an oral easement to provide cable services in apartment complex.
- Won settlement from a national bank for paying checks over forged endorsements.
- Won arbitration award from Gulfstream for unpaid commissions.
- Defending rancher resisting efforts to force public hunting and fishing access across his land.
- Successfully pursued numerous car dealers for unpaid purchases, including workouts, actions for replevin, bankruptcy and priority disputes with other lenders.
Memberships and Activities
Member - The State Bar of Georgia
Member - The District of Columbia Bar
Law Clerk - Honorable Orinda D. Evans, United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia, 1990-1991