Jason McCarter is a commercial litigator and advisor representing automotive, utility, and education clients in a variety of complex business disputes and regulatory investigations. Jason also counsels clients on lending, UCC, privacy, licensing, and contracting issues.
Jason routinely practices in state and federal courts and alternative dispute forums around the country. Prior to joining Dow Lohnes, Jason was a tort litigator at a major national law firm, representing automotive and other product manufacturers.
Principal commercial and regulatory counselor for world's leading provider of vehicle remarketing services.
Advised two large floor plan finance companies in successful legal and operational merger, including consolidation of borrower forms and processes.
Represented name-brand automotive website in significant commercial lease and option dispute.
Prevailed in multi-million dollar contract and earn-out litigation for nationwide motor vehicle sales platform.
Led successful multi-million dollar arbitration regarding fiber optic cable lease for major cable company.
Won appeal to 11th Circuit in nine-figure system-network contract and antitrust dispute for another major cable company.
Re-wrote multiple form loan packets for national automotive finance company and counseled on related underwriting protocols.
Created institutional loan forms and related disclosures for several higher education clients.
Prosecuted major trade secret claim for automotive-industry client.
Counseled auction client in state regulatory investigation of export practices.
Routinely manage network of local counsel in litigation and other projects around the country.
Frequent speaker and writer on finance and consumer protection regulations, overseen by the CFPB and other regulators.
Memberships and Activities
Georgia State Bar, Business Law Section
National Association of College and University Attorneys
AVLF Saturday Lawyers Program
Co-Founder - Virginia Sports & Entertainment Law Journal
- “Recurring Legal Issues with Institutional Loans and Payment Plans,” SASFAA 2013 Annual Conference and Region IV PCCS Annual Conference (February 2013)
- “A Map to the Minefield of Financial Regulations Affecting Car Dealers,” large automotive client (July 2012)
- “The Red Flags Rule as ‘Clarified,’” Commercial Vehicle Training Association, Spring 2011 Conference (March 2011)
- “Recent Changes to the Truth In Lending Act: Effects on Private Education Lenders,” state regulator conference and multiple trade group webinars (2009-2010)
- “Recent Changes to the Truth In Lending Act: Effects on Private Educational Lenders,” National Association of State Administrators and Supervisors of Private Schools (NASASPS) conference (April 27, 2010)
- “Truth in Lending or Regulation Z: What it Means and Why it Matters to YOU,” Commercial Vehicle Training Association (February 9, 2010)
- "Recent Changes to the Truth in Lending Act for Private Educational Lenders," Career College Association (September 2009)
- "Credit and Collections Seminar: Legal Issues," regional finance meetings of national secured lender client (2007)