Dow Lohnes attorneys have substantial experience in handling international arbitrations under the rules and procedures of various arbitral institutions. Arbitration increasingly is becoming a preferred means of resolving disputes arising out of international corporate, commercial and other transactions. Dow Lohnes attorneys have represented clients in a wide range of complex international disputes. While international arbitration possesses many of the fundamental attributes of domestic arbitration, the firm’s lawyers understand the unique features and special legal framework governing international arbitrations. Dow Lohnes attorneys represent clients in all aspects of international arbitration and at every stage of the proceedings, including drafting of arbitration agreements, advising clients on the selection of arbitrators, and conducting all pre-hearing, hearing and post-hearing activities pursuant to the rules of the applicable international forum. Dow Lohnes lawyers also serve as arbitrators in appropriate cases, including those involving complex commercial disputes.
Our experience in international arbitrations (or similar ADR-type proceedings) includes:
- The defense of the U.S. purchaser of a foreign telecommunications company against a claim filed by the seller relating to the alleged breach of post-closing covenants.
- Representation of a U.S. purchaser of a foreign equipment company in its claim that the seller had fraudulently induced the purchaser to acquire the company.
- Representation of the U.S. seller of a foreign communications enterprise with regard to the discharge of indemnification obligations (and release of escrow funds) involving copyright claims.
- Resolution of a major international insurance dispute involving high-technology products and services.
- Resolution of a contract dispute between a foreign cable television system and a U.S. programming supplier.
- Representation of a seller in connection with a contract dispute involving the sale of a U.S. telecommunications company to a foreign purchaser.
- The resolution of numerous disputes between domain name owners and others regarding the registration and use of domain names before the World Intellectual Property Organization under the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (“UDRP”).