Dow Lohnes is intellectual property counsel to a number of the most sophisticated media, telecommunications, and technology companies and educational institutions in the United States, as well as companies in many other industries. We represent our clients in the entire range of intellectual property matters, including copyright, patent, trademark, unfair competition and trade secret issues. Dow Lohnes lawyers also negotiate complex and cutting-edge agreements relating to intellectual property, litigate every kind of intellectual property dispute, and represent our clients before Congress, federal agencies and in other forums on intellectual property public policy matters.
Our intellectual property clients range from traditional media companies to some of the most exciting ventures on the Web, and from airlines and shopping malls to universities and schools offering distance learning. A representative sampling of our intellectual property practice includes the following:
- Representing most of the U.S. computer industry and other major technology companies in complex copyright, digital rights management, content protection, acquisition and distribution negotiations with the music and content industries, including the Secure Digital Music Initiative, the DVD and Blu-ray (AACS) content protection systems, World Intellectual Property Organization treaties and other initiatives relating to the protection and use of digital music, movies and other content.
- Negotiating strategic alliances with many of the major ventures on the Web.
- Litigating copyright cases arising out of publishing, radio, television and satellite communications, and participating in recent copyright cases before the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Litigating trademark cases in federal court and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board relating to a wide variety of trademarks, ranging from the name of a major cable television company to cigar brands, and litigating numerous domain name disputes.
- Defending numerous wireless communications companies in litigation alleging infringement of technology patents.
- Representing major cable television operators in negotiating cable network programming deals with virtually every major cable programming network, including multi-billion dollar program carriage deals, as well representing cable programming networks.
- Prosecuting hundreds of trademark applications and maintaining thousands of trademark registrations.
- Negotiating agreements for the acquisition of complex computer systems and other technology, and for the development and licensing of software.
- Negotiating a broad range of content licensing arrangements, ranging from freelancer deals to music licensing.